Closing Date: 5th May 2022
PD Ports is a leading UK ports business offering end-to-end supply chain solutions, employing over 1,300 people in the UK. With headquarters based in the North East of England, PD Ports owns and operates the UK’s third largest port by volume.
We are seeking to recruit a Mechanical Fitter to undertake servicing and repair work on mobile plant within the Port at Teesport.
As an experienced Mechanical Fitter / HGV Fitter you will be required to undertake planned maintenance and servicing predominately of Port equipment, such as Reach Stackers, 3.5t – 45t fork lift trucks, tractor units, and sometimes working on cranes such as harbour mobile cranes, RTG’s and ship to shore cranes. You would also be required to respond to breakdowns and failures using problem solving techniques to return the equipment to service with minimum downtime. You will need a full driving licence for this role in order to attend breakdowns off site and at other sites in the area.
As a key member of the engineering team you will assist in planning maintenance and servicing activities in line with statutory requirements and manufacturers specifications.
As the role is within a multi-skilled and fully flexible working environment, skills in other trades would be a distinct advantage. Experience of hydraulic systems, burning, welding and mobile plant electrics would also be desirable.
Mechanical Fitter Personal Specification:
- A time served apprentice trained fitter, qualified to City & Guilds level 3, or ONC
- Port experience would be advantageous
- Highly motivated and proactive approach to Health and Safety legislation
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant regulations – i.e. LOLER/PUWER
- Computer literate, Microsoft Office
- Good team player
- Flexible and reliable
- Clean Driving Licence
- Ability to read Hydraulic, Pneumatic and electrical drawings would be advantageous
- Capable of making decisions quickly and effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (subject to shift pattern)
- Internal training and Safety Passport Training/ On-going training and assessments
- Sick pay scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- PPE provided – Overalls etc.
- Employee Assistance Program for personal support (health, finance, etc.)
- Company pension scheme (up to 6% company contribution)
The work entails working outside in all weather conditions and the ability to work at heights.
The ideal candidate will hold an ONC in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, as a minimum and is likely to have at least three years’ experience following completion of a formal apprenticeship.
You will be required to work within the 162.5 hours per month contract and be fully committed to working to health and safety best practice.
Successful applicants will be offered a competitive salary, excellent terms and conditions of employment with an opportunity to build a career with the business.
If you are interested in joining the team at this exciting time, please submit a detailed C.V. outlining relevant skills & experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Group HR Department
17-27 Queen’s Square
Closing date for applications: 5th May 2022