Closing Date: 28th January 2022
APPRENTICESHIP – GROVEPORT
HEAVY VEHICLE SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Level 3)
PD Ports is a leading UK ports business offering end-to-end supply chain solutions, employing over 1,300 people in the UK. With headquarters based in the North East of England, PD Ports owns and operates the UK’s third largest port by volume. Groveport specialises in steel, forest products and dry bulk cargo and is the UK’s market leader for handling long steel products. Covering 190 acres, Groveport is a leading import terminal for some of the UK’s major steel suppliers.
An exciting opportunity to join the Engineering Team based at Groveport. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, Humber.
A chance to undertake a 36 month programme (not including End Point Assessment), providing high standards of knowledge, skills and behaviours in line with the requirements of the Engineering Team. With a mentor from within the business allocated to support the successful candidate throughout their apprenticeship, to set learning goals and track progress.
Gaining a Level 3 Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician qualification supported by North Lindsey College, demonstrating learnings through practical assessments and End Point Assessment.
Knowledge of inspecting and repairing a range of heavy vehicles (HV) and trailers will be gained ranging from replacing simple parts through to solving complex faults with the use of diagnostic methods and equipment.
During the apprenticeship developing the following competencies:
- Carrying out basic tasks with tools and equipment common to all procedures involving basic mechanical and electrical procedures.
- Ability to keep updated with emerging new technologies within a heavy vehicle industry.
- Contribution to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop and adhere to the company and legislative processes.
- Access specific and related heavy vehicle technical information appropriately.
- The ability to service, inspect and maintain heavy vehicles and trailers to meet company, driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and manufacturers’ standards.
- Utilise a range of diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment to identify faults and underlying causes on heavy vehicles.
- Successfully inspect and prepare vehicles and trailers to meet DVSA standards prescribed in the tester’s manual.
- Carry out final quality checks without supervision.
- Application of advanced diagnostic principles and logical/problem solving techniques and regimes.
- Maintenance of records to company and operators’ licence obligations and regulation.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written mediums both internally and with customers on a range of topics that will support inspections and diagnosing techniques.
Applicants will need the following initial skill base to apply.
- Applicants without Level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level prior to completion of their apprenticeship.
- Good level of IT Skills, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook as minimum.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- An interest in how the heavy vehicle industry operates.
- Organisational skills.
- Willingness to learn.
- Good level of communication skills – verbal and written.
- Professional attitude.
- Ability to use own initiative.
Successful applicants will be invited to attend an interview. If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, apply by sending CV and covering letter to Tanya Mountain, Group HR Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to 17-27 Queens Square, Middlesbrough, TS2 1AH.
Closing date for applications: 28th January 2022