Closing Date: 29th July 2022
PD Ports is a leading UK ports business offering end-to-end supply chain solutions, employing over 1,400 people in the UK. With headquarters based in the North East of England, PD Ports owns and operates the UK’s third largest port by volume.
We are seeking to recruit a General Manager at our Groveport site located on the River Trent. This is newly created post which will oversee all aspects of a multifaceted operation.
The successful candidate will provide dynamic leadership and effective management facilitating change and shaping a culture of success. You will bring significant presence to the business with a focus on health and safety, customer partnerships and generating growth by driving the commercial and strategic objectives whilst exercising budgetary control.
The General Manager will be responsible for the delivery of site operations and will seek to inspire, support and mentor their leadership team to exceed performance targets/business metrics across the various areas of the operation.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
- To lead the health and safety agenda and ensure full engagement with the Company’s health and safety ethos and safety first philosophy, maintaining high safety standards
- Ensure site wide compliance with company safety policies, statutory obligations, undertake inspections and audits and confirm that procedures, risk assessments and work instructions are followed
- Lead on the development of the business unit strategy and deliver the agreed objectives
- Lead on the creation and implementation of best practice principles, policies and processes to improve operational and financial performance
- Plan, manage and evaluate the operations liaising with internal stakeholders, suppliers, logistics providers, transportation companies and customers
- Set departmental objectives/KPIs and performance targets, monitor, report on delivery against targets and identify any remedial action required
- Negotiate rates and contracts with customers and suppliers
- Lead, manage and co-ordinate internal and customer projects drawing on expert resource as required
- Manage, coach, motivate and develop a high performing team capable of meeting agreed objectives and delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvement initiatives
- With support from Human Resources and L&D functions lead the team to ensure our people are supported, trained, developed and managed in line with our principles and our objective of being an employer of choice
- Lead the team to deliver environmental management initiatives, site-wide legal compliance and effective facilities, equipment, plant and resource management
- With support from the Commercial Department lead the team to maintain service levels of existing contracts, manage the customer experience and seek to develop new business opportunities
- Lead on the development and utilisation of IT systems to meet operational and financial requirements
- Set budgetary targets and use established financial management practices, tools and review mechanisms to measure turnover, profitability and control costs to deliver agreed financial performance
- Lead on the management and delivery of departmental audits to maintain existing internal and external accreditation and standards
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in a senior management role, will be an effective leader and possess organisational, communication, negotiation, mentoring and influencing skills, be self-motivated and flexible, have an eye for detail and the ability to work under pressure in a very demanding environment. IT literacy and the ability to analyse data in a variety of forms, prepare reports and presentations and be able to effectively communicate and build relationships both internally and externally, at all levels, are a pre-requisite.
If you feel you have the necessary skills to undertake this challenging role please send applications in writing to:
Group HR Department
17-27 Queen’s Square
Or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org