Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Closing Date: 29th February 2024
The opportunity has arisen for a suitable candidate to join the Harbour Masters team as a VTSO.As one of the United Kingdom’s major deep-water harbours, the ports of Tees and Hartlepool have approximately 8,000 commercial vessel movements annually. An important factor in its continuing success is the safe and efficient management of our waterway.
The Statutory Harbour Authority functions are partially discharged through the VTS Centre, which has particular responsibility for the continuous control of marine activities, including the planning and monitoring of vessels through the VTS system.
Location: Harbour Office – Middlesbrough.
Working Arrangements: Tees VTS provides a 24-hour operation, 365 days a year, based on a 12-hour shift system
Salary: a starting salary of £30,539 plus shift allowance.
The main duties of our VTSO are:
• Based in Tees VTS located in Middlesbrough, the VTSO will assist the Duty Assistant Harbour Master (AHM) in
managing vessel arrivals and departures within the VTS area.
• As a VTSO you will deal with shipping agents, berth operators, general public, and emergency services as well
as communicating extensively with senior management, port services and other internal departments.
• The VTSO will also support the AHM in ensuring the river is managed in line with Acts of Parliament, Port
Authority Bye-Laws, General Directions and marine codes of practice.
• You will operate and interpret state of the art VTS system data, including, RADAR, AIS, CCTV and
• Daily displaying the aptitude to make and communicate authoritative operational traffic management decisions
in both routine and non-routine circumstances to ensure the safety and efficiency of navigation within the VTS
We are seeking someone who:
• Will need to be self – motivated with a commitment to delivering exceptional customer service.
• Can demonstrate excellent administration, general IT and communication skills, be able to work accurately under
pressure and work effectively as part of a small team.
• Holders of marine qualifications such as a C103-1 (previously known as V-103/1) or a UK recognised Certificate
of Competency (CoC) as a Deck Officer would be advantageous but not essential.
• Those who have served as a senior rating in the Armed Forces who have worked in a communications command
and control role would also be considered.
PD Ports is a leading UK port business offering end-to-end supply chain solutions, employing over 1,500 people in the UK. With headquarters based in the Northeast of England, PD Ports owns and operates the UK’s third largest port by volume. Operating out of 11 key ports and logistics centers across the UK, we are committed to retaining and developing talent nationwide.
We offer 25 days holiday, paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave, life insurance, a generous sick pay scheme and
a cycle to work scheme.
If you are interested in this opportunity please apply in writing, outlining relevant skills & experience, to
firstname.lastname@example.org and use job reference VTSO2024.
If you would like to find out more about the role, please contact email@example.com.